Thursday 9 February 2012

And this week's homework is...

"Take your spelling words and turn them into a rap".

Yes, a rap. This comes hot on the heels of "Prepare a fact file about how the Inuit peoples are affected by their environment". #2 jumped straight on the PC and whistled up a lovely Powerpoint presentation in half an hour, delighted to chuck #1 off the Lego website.... "Mum says I can because this is HOMEWORK".

I'm not really sure how my 9 yo is supposed to come up with a convincing rap considering that I have yet to let mine watch The Simpsons or Fresh Prince (OK maybe a little retro) and they certainly don't get to listen to Eminem, JayZ or Wretch32 (only ACTUAL mothers should be allowed to use "mo'fo").

I used to have to LEARN my spelling words, and sometimes make them into sentences. I have a clear memory of my mother bemoaning the fact that I had been given the words "lily" AND "lilies" one week in P3 as if the teacher was deliberately torturing her. Maybe I had been a pain in the arse that week, who knows.

Despite my initial horror and reluctance to embrace these new-fangled exercises, I suppose I'm actually glad that my kids are being encouraged to think in different ways and to produce a huge range of work in different media and forms. I'm sure rapping will be ubiquitous on CVs in the future...

And here is her finished piece (spelling words underlined just so you can see how tough a challenge this was):

My voice is my instrument,
Don't tell me any different,
Rhyme n rap are my ingredients
Interrupt? You'll have an accident!
My scent, fresh like peppermint
I'm cool like a centipede,
An interesting inventor,
Check me in the interval,
This interview is over!
YO.

I wonder if I should copyright it now....  or make it into a #thursdayrap challenge.



3 comments:

  1. LOL! Only ACTUAL mothers should be allowed to use "mofo." Excellent line.

    Love your style of writing, very funny. And I'm glad I'm not the only 'mum' out there, as opposed to 'mom'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - I love it! If you ever release this please can I be first choice to lay down some beatbox over the top of it?

    ReplyDelete